Posted: July 14th, 2016
What is conspicuous consumption? How does conspicuous consumption influence purchasing decisions? Think about a high-priced item that you have bought or would like to buy. To what extent does conspicuous consumption affect your decision?
What is conspicuous leisure? Examples of conspicuous leisure are abundant on television. In what ways are leisure activities informed by social and economic class? Provide an example of a popular leisure activity. What assumptions can you make about the participants of the activity?
What is conspicuous consumption
• Define the term globalization. What effect does globalization have on popular culture? Provide an example of how American popular culture has influenced other countries, or how the United States has imported popular culture from other countries.
2. Choose an advertisement. Analyze the ad for its media message. Answer the following questions based on that ad.
• Who created the media message? Why?
• Who is the intended audience? What do you know about the intended audience—age, race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic background, hobbies, profession?
• What type of lifestyle is presented? Is it realistic? Why or why not?
• What is the text, written or in another form, of the message? What do you see and hear: written or spoken words, photos, drawings, logos, design, music, sounds, and so on?
• What is the hidden text? What is unstated or implied in the message?
• What values are expressed?
• What groups of people are empowered in this message? What groups are disempowered? How so?
• What part of the story is not being told? How and where could you get more information about the untold stories?
• Can these messages affect how you think and feel? Why or why not? Provide examples
• Can these messages affect your behavior? Why or why not? Provide examples.
• Can the messages affect the cultural values in society in general? Why or why not? Provide examples.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.