Posted: October 2nd, 2017
Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2015). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing:
Theory and application (8th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
• Chapter 19 “Organizational, Interpersonal, and Group Communication”
Chapter 19 covers many aspects of the communication process, including group communication. As you read this chapter, focus on the stages of group development (forming, storming, norming, performing) and group dynamics (group task roles, group building and maintenance roles, problematic roles). Consider how you can apply these concepts as you engage in group work.
For this Discussion, you focus on strategies for facilitating the group process.
• Review the information in this week’s Learning Resources regarding the stages of group formation, problematic roles individuals play in groups, and strategies for facilitating and maintaining positive group collaboration. In particular, review Learning Exercise 19.12 on page 464 of the course text. stages of group formation
• Reflect on various groups with which you have been or are currently involved. Select one specific group to analyze for the purposes of this Discussion. Identify the purpose or task that the group is or was meant to perform.
• Consider the four stages of group formation (forming, storming, norming, and performing). How would you describe the progression between stages? Is there a stage in which you believe your group is or was “stuck”?
• Consider the task or group-building role you normally play in a group setting. How could you apply the information from the Learning Resources to improve your group participation and facilitation, as well as the functioning of the group as a whole?
• In addition, think about which individuals within your group (including yourself) may fall into problematic roles such as the Dominator, the Aggressor, or the Blocker. How have you and your group members addressed the enactment of these roles and its impact on interactions? With information from the Learning Resources in mind, what strategies would you apply now or going forward?
• The below are the needed subtopics for this assignment….
Post a description of a group with which you have been or are currently involved.
Assess where the group is in terms of the four stages of group formation. If you are reflecting on a past experience, explain if your group moved through all four stages.
Describe the task or group-building role you typically play, or played, in this group.
Then, explain what strategies you, as a leader, can apply to better facilitate the group process and address any problematic individual roles in the group.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.